Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Discovering Dominica

Dominica, the Nature Island Paradise of the Caribbean as many have deemed it, shall not be confused with the Dominican Republic. Honestly, I'm quote sure that some of the not-so-bright SAS-ers on board may have thought we were going to la Republica Dominicana only to be very disappointed upon arrival with their Spanish-for-Tourists guidebooks in their hands. It was an amazing first port. Though originally slated to stop in Cuba, which I'm sure would have also been an amazing cultural experience, Dominica brought so many surprises. The local Dominicans (stress on the second i, not the first) were extremely friendly, some being a little too nice, and they were not afraid to tell you about it. On more than one occasion, we were told that they were indeed the nicest people of the Caribbean and would never rob, steal, or cheat any visitors and would do anything in their power to help them. I would like to extend my utmost praise and gratitude for Justin, Bennett, and Israel, the three taxi drivers who I was pleased to meet during the past two days. Even though they could have been slightly overbearing, and borderline creepy, they were genuinely interested in our lives and in our safety. It was a great ease into this voyage, and I can only imagine that it will get more difficult to communicate and get around in the upcoming destinations in the itinerary.

With its lush rainforests atop mountains kissing the clouds, Dominica is a natural wonderland with one of the most glorious landscapes on which I've ever been able to tread. On day one, I was able to peruse around the capital city of Roseau with its colorful buildings, rampant animals, unpredictable traffic, and deep sidewalk trenches which acted as their sewer system. Just a jump, hop, and skip away were mountains upon mountains in which some of natures wonders can be found, including the Trafalgar (or Twin) Falls and the TiT0ou Gorge, both of which I was able to explore on the second day. There was such diversity that can be found, either within the landscapes or the people, and it was a joy to be in such a breath-taking place.

Wither haggling for the cost of well-endowed Bob Marley magnets in Eastern Caribbean Dollars or getting lost while hiking through the rainforest, the island was full of fun, new experiences. If you told me a week ago that I would be dancing a traditional Indian dance form to the music of Skrillex in a open-roofed bar in Roseau, I would have laughed at you. If you told me that a few hours after, I'd be wading in the water of a gorge where the Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed or sticking my feet in a hot spring at the foot of the Mama and Papa Falls, I'd laugh even harder. Well, to put a long story short, I'm cackling like a maniac. As I eat my Cheezies Puffs, a snack of which the mascot is a cheese platypus that is "50% Bird, 50% Mammal, and 100% Cheesy," I am already reminiscing about the time I had in port and readjusting to the rocking of the ship as it continues to blaze through the sea.

Packed in these two days are so many stories, and I can't even begin to tell all of them. Eating mangoes, bananas, and passionfruit from a gap-toothed vendor, happily greeting every person I passed on the street, and having some of the funniest conversations with taxi drivers who were willing to take you anywhere on the island are only a small tidbit of the things I was able to cram into such a short time. I can't even imagine what the rest of this journey will be like, but I'm ready for all the stories I will tell about them.

And if you're at all wondering about my shoes, you can only imagine how soiled they've become, especially after trekking through the rainforest. I have some amazing photos that will be uploaded as soon as possible.

Oh, and one last thing: Happy Belated Birthday to my father!

No comments:

Post a Comment