Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Bahama Papa


After a very early flight from JFK and a layover in Miami, I arrived to Nassau in the Bahamas.  To put a long story short, this island has some of the most vibrant colors I've ever seen and the most amazingly friendly people.  It's as if I'm walking in a super-saturated photograph being greeted with  a sea of pearly whites against beautiful brown skin.

I think I'm gonna keep this one short.  So today, all the work-study students and the lifelong learners (primarily elderly couples who are sharing the experience with us) were able to board, and since I'll be working at the Campus Store (which seems so chill), I was able to take a sneak-peak at the MV Explorer and get settled a little early.  Even though it is dwarfed by all the other cruise ships in the port, there is ample room for everything and more.  I can only imagine what it's gonna be like when everyone's on board.


But yeah, it's gonna be a long day tomorrow because, as work-study students, we have to help with the embarkation process for the rest of the cohort.  I have to get up at 6AM, and the most I've slept were the few winks in between the heavy turbulence on my way to Miami.

Anyway, after meeting a few people, I don't feel as completely awkward as I did this morning, but I can't help put feel like this is like freshman orientation all over again.  Whatever, I'll get over it.  There are clearly going to be some wonderful, and not-so-wonderful, people that I'll meet on this voyage, and I'm throughly excited to encounter them all.

So I leave you with a few pictures from the Bahamas.  I unfortunately wasn't able to do very much anything on the island because I had all my luggage that I had to schlep around, and once I checked into the boat and was able to leave again, it was dark.  Actually, I'm currently with a few other SASers at the Towne Hotel a few blocks away from the port using their free Wi-Fi.  This is going to be a very common occurrence during this trip, I promise you.


But yeah.  I embark tomorrow, and I hope to continue blogging via e-mail, and hopefully I'll be able to give you all some more pictures once in port in Dominica.

Until then, this Bahama Papa sends his love from the Caribbean.  And to all of the lovely people in Rochester, I hope you had a wonderful first day of classes of the Spring semester!


No comments:

Post a Comment