Thursday, July 19, 2012

#YOLO?


It's been six months since embarked on the MV Explorer for the Spring 2012 voyage around the world.

In those six months, I can proudly say that I've seen some of the best the world has to offer, and I know that it has ignited my passion to continue searching for those gems.  It has changed my life (well, then again, what hasn't?), and I am so glad that took the chance and met so many gracious people and made memories that will last a lifetime.

However, I really hope that six months from today, I won't be writing a similar sentiment like this about how it's been a year since I went on my journey.

For the past few days, I've been looking at old pictures and videos and reliving what it was like living on a ship for a few months and being plopped in a new country every few days, doing anything and everything possible.  I keep thinking about how lucky I am to have seen those places, where many would die to visit, that I can simply just check off my bucket list.

But…  I would hate to keep living in the past.  "Remember when dotdotdot?  Oh, yeah!  That was when so-and-so was at wherever and they blahblahblah?  God, I would love to go back to blank."

It's time to stop asking, "Remember that time in Cape Town?" and to start thinking, "When am I going back? (shout-out to Jessi Lee)"  Instead of thinking about the few hours we were in Mauritius or Singapore, how about we return there and stay for a few days?  A few months, or even a few years?  No more looking at pictures of climbing mountains and eating unknown food.  Now is the time to go and do it… again.

This is one place where I find the YOLO motto a perfect fit.  You indeed only live once.  So why think about the past you've already lived when you can just simply continue living?

So cheers to that, my friends.  And #YOLO.

No comments:

Post a Comment